Night and Day: 1930s Fashion and Photography

Back in December I met up with my friend Michelle who had come over from New York to spend Christmas in the UK. I met her when we were waiting in line for tickets to the Alexander McQueen exhibition a couple of years ago at the V&A and we just clicked. Anyway we had planned to go and see the current exhibition at the Fashion and Textile Museum. Only I got the days muddled (it was that break between Christmas and New Year when no one knows what day it was) and the museum was closed.

Roll on a couple of weeks and it was the last weekend of the show and I felt I needed to go and see it to at least take pictures for Michelle to see what she had missed. And what a feast for the eyes! I had an idea in my head of 1930s fashion, Hollywood Glamour and all that but it was so much more! Yes there was evening wear but also work wear, day wear and even what to wear for the beach!









 The detail of many of the outfits was mind blowing. Some of the evening gowns looked like pour liquid. So apologies for the brief change in photo orientation but I wanted to show you some the details. 
 Here we have the backs of what to wear to the office. 
 I think this is possibly my favourite piece - look at those lines and that colour! 
 But I had to share these summer outfits. Just look at that ruffle! 

 This was in the section celebrating the coronation of King Edward VIII before he abdicated. The detail on that pocket was staggering. 
 And to end with the detail from the evening wear. 
 The lines and the fabric were incredible. However I can hand on heart say I'm not the right shape for the 1930s! It was a great exhibition except one thing. As you can see from the title the exhibition was fashion and photography. There was a room full of Cecil Beaton shots, one of the famed fashion photographers of the age and I thought it would the highlight of the exhibition but I must admit it left me flat. Ah well, you can't win them all! 
I love this museum as they actively encourage you to take photographs. Hope you've enjoyed a selection of the highlights. 

Comments

Popular Posts