A quick trip to Venice: Part One

When I was looking up where in Italy Bologna was I realised that we were fairly close to Venice. Now I have only ever been to Venice once when I was 9 and it is memory that stuck with me as we had a fabulous time. So I dragged OH on the train for a quick visit. Now Venice in July is meant to be the worst time of the year to go but we had no choice really. After 2 hours on a train we came out on to the Grand Canal which was pretty magical I have to say. Our plan was to get a vaportto (water taxi) from the station up to San Marco Plaza (St Mark's Square) and make our way back to the station.

The vaporetto was packed when we first got on but most people seemed to get off at the Rialto Bridge so I spent the rest of the journey stood looking out the window taking pictures of the sights as they went by while OH went and found himself a seat to enjoy the view.












San Marco's was busy but it wasn't as bad as we thought it would be but we didn't hang around for too long. 



Instead we nipped down a side street and meandered though the winding streets and over canals back to the station.
 It was such a joy to meander through these ancient winding streets and avoid the crowds. 

As with Bologna I loved exploring the streets and photographing details of the buildings as well as the canals. 

Glimsing part of everyday life in Venice (there was so much washing out!) 
 The only other pinch point we came across we crossing back over the Grand Canal over the Rialto Bridge. 
Now as with Bologna I've got a set of landscape and portrait images so I'm going to give you all a breather and post the portrait photos in another post. There was so much to capture in Venice and such a small window of time. Turns out that OH wasn't really that fussed about Venice - his actual word was 'meh'. But Venice I still love you and one day I'll come back and take longer to enjoy your exquisite beauty. Even as a nine year old I was touched by it's magic and is one of the few real memories I have as a child (thanks mum and dad!) 

Comments

Popular Posts