Brixton Orchard

If you are a regular reader you will know that I live and love Brixton but recently there has been significantly damaged by gentrification. There are so many new buildings going up and frankly it's depressing. Earlier this week I walked past a green space close to where I live and was dismayed to see that the plot was covered in trenches which looked as if they were being prepared for yet more building work. So imagine my delight when I walked past this morning to see that rather than building people were planting. The area is to become an orchard with 35 fruit trees and a green oasis.

The community led project, building over what was a nucular bunker building in the 50s, has been funded by Brixton Bid and is supported by Urban Growth and the Open Orchard project.  As well as the trees hundreds of plants, seeds and bulbs have been planted.

Here is what I saw this morning and look forward to the area flourishing as time goes by:



Comments

Popular Posts