A Cumbrian Adventure: Local Architecture

The prolonged good weather while I was visiting my folks meant that I could walk further up the valley than I normally do. The other sad reason for this was that our neighbour who was in her 90s sadly passed away earlier in the year. I usually went over to see her for a cup of coffee and a natter when I was at home but it meant I didn't often walk further up the valley as in the winter the light was starting to fade after I had seen her. I should add that when I say neighbour she lived half a mile away!!!
The hedgerows were in full bloom when I was up. 
But the thing I really wanted to see was the slate fences which you can see further up the valley.  I just love them - so typically Lakeland and a clear mark of a bygone era. 


Not so young lambs were still running about playing while their mothers looked on trying to avoid the heat!

A little further up the valley is what was an old farm which has been a holiday home since the 1970s. 
But the out buildings including an old sheep pen and dip which of course were made of slate 
And a good hog hole with also a style for humans to get over the wall which you can just make out on the right 
Further up the fell past this view is an old medieval farmhouse and was were I went on my first, and only, archaeological dig for a whole day! I found out many years later that it was organised by the Anthropology Department at my university who are based next to door to where I work (if you don't me I'm an adminstrator in the Archaeology Department) - it's a funny old world isn't it! 
I didn't see the ram but it was good to know it was about! 
As you can see slate is a very promenante building material - it was mined on the fells above the valley for a while and our neighbour's house were old miners cottages. 
I loved this perfect hole in one of the fence slates - not a gate post if memory serves me well (though I could be wrong) 
A painted lady landed on the road on the way home - one of Dad's favourites! 
And finally more sheep escaping the heat! 

Comments

Popular Posts