A Cumbrian Adventure: Holker Hall

I've not put these posts in any kind of order I realise, I took two cameras up with me which meant the order of the photos when I download them can be back to front. So to catch up after my mum and dad picked me up from the Station we stopped of at Holker Hall for a walk around their gardens. It was mum's birthday that week so it was also an early birthday treat. The house and garden are fairly formal but then the landscape opens out to woodland then open fields. I'd forgotten how big it was!

The formal gardens were looking pretty good - lots of white poppies looking glorious in the sunshine. 

Lots of hints of pink as well. 

I really liked the lines in this part of the garden - not normally my kind of thing but this one reminded me a bit of the Queen of Hearts garden in Alice in Wonderland though sadly no croquet on the lawn :) 



Out of the formal gardens you wander into a shaded wooded area which often has random ornimental ducks 


The light in this grapevine created some incredible shadows 
The further you walk the more wild it gets with hay meadows at their best. 
And this lime tree, or possible another close by was in the top 100 best trees in Britain - it's girth was pretty impressive! 


And once you walk out of the woodland area you are out in open spaces. We saw deer in the distance and even a faux stone circle just to ensure I didn't completely forget about work while on holiday! 

Comments

Popular Posts