The Lakes: Part Two

Now I freely admit when my dad suggested the following day we went out for a drive I thought he was bonkers as I feared it would rain all day. But with Cumbrian weather you need to just go for it, the worst that could happen would be rain. So we jumped in the car and headed over to the coast road.
 We stopped off at Silecroft just to have  a look at the sea. We used to go here when I was kid and I thought it was terribly exotic going to the seaside !! Gawd bless  the innocence of the 80s
 I love the optimism of hanging washing out in the damp weather
 We then headed in land towards Wast Water. Here is the first peak of the view, with Sca Fell I think dominating the sky line. 

 Before coming down into the valley where you find the picture perfect view of Wast Water. 
 From every view point it's beautiful but I must admit I always think of the dead bodies that must be in that lake (I think this about pretty much every lake in the Lake District I'm afraid). 

 We drove up to the head of the Lake and where you can see a clump of trees there is a tiny church called St Olaf's with a depressing sign saying 'Next Service: Christmas Day'


We stopped off at Gosforth on the way home to see the Anglo Saxon cross and the two Hogback tombstones which are inside the church. Now the picture I took of the cross at Gosforth wasn't brilliant so above is a picture of the one at Irton which we stopped off at on the way to Wast Water. Anyway I always get a kick from seeing these and really liked that Cumbria was in the Viking part of England before King Alfred united the country back in the dark ages. A colleague at work also said they are one of the finest examples of 7th Century sculpture. 
The lighting in the church wasn't brilliant but you can just make out the boat on the right hand side. Anyway I hope you enjoy this little glimpse into my day exploring the Lakes. More to follow soon. 

Comments

  1. I love Wasdale and your photos are fab. The Wasdale Head Inn is where my Mum and Dad met so I have a soft spot for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts