Blue Skies, Brighton Pier and Murmurations

Last November OH and I went off to Brighton for the day to see one of nature's finest spectacles, the winter starling murmuration off the pier. This year, to my delight, he suggested we go again. My only caveat was that we only went if the sky was clear as we had been so spoilt last year with an incredible sunset. As luck would have it the weather forecast was set for stunning so we jumped on the train with extra layers packed in case it got cold. As luck would have it we needed have worried as although the sky was clear the temperature was in double figures!
Now I know what you're thinking, there is no way that's Brighton and indeed you are quite correct! We normally leave from London Victoria but due to engineering works we had to go via London Blackfriars and that was the view while we waited for the train. How amazing is that! 
 And in just over an hour we had arrived at the seaside. 
 I did think I wanted to have a bit of  a wander around the Lanes looking in the shops before show time. But once we hit the sea front the weather was warm and the light was incredible so we spent several hours just soaking in the warmth and sights. 
 


 I love autumn light, you may have heard me say in previous posts but it's so lovely and clear. Here is looking out over to the old pier 
 In London I take pictures of the electric cables in the street but here was some of the illuminations at the start of the pier sleeping during the day. 
I really like this cropped shot of gulls in flight during the last hour of the day. 
 I can be a creature of habit and love exploring the shapes and light under the pier as well as above. 

But soon the sun started to set. Just look at that view  
 And soon the starlings began to gather

 They were tricky to meaningfull photograph. OH recons I should have filmed them instead of photograph them but this one gives you an idea of the balls they can create in the sky as they loop up and down.  

And this one hopefully gives you an idea of how many there were!
 And before we knew it the starlings on the pier made their way to their roosts and we headed back along the sea front in the fading light. 
 But boy what a view. 
Last year we were treated to a second show in the old pier but sadly this year there was only a small flock. I'm not sure how much longer this beautiful relic from the past will actually be there but it's such a graceful sight. 
And there we have it, a snap shot of magical few hours in Brighton.

Comments

Popular Posts