Butterflies at the Horniman Museum

In recent years I've been a visitor to the NHM Sensational Butterflies in central London. While I love it, it is huge and can get a little crowded and overwhelming at times. When I got back from Francne OH and I went over to the Horniman Museum to check out the outdoor space which includes a Butterfly House, and if you know me I love a good butterfly house!

But before we went into the Butterfly House we had a wander around the small but delightful farm walk. I wasn't expecting to come across lamas and goats that day but they certainly bring a smile to your face. There were also some rather splendid sheep but at the time we were walking past there was a family group pulling leaves from a nearby shrub to feed to the animals which are both big no nos in my book and I had to walk on before I said something.



 I should mention the view which is pretty stunning, even on a pretty grey day. 
 And so into the Butterfly House. I rather foolishly didn't take my macro lens so these aren't the best butterfly photos I've taken but they're not bad (even though I say so myself!). 
 This guy was newly hatched. You can tell as the wings are still kinda floppy 
 Love was certainly in the air (it is spring after all) with not one but two sets of butterflies mating. 

 The Butterfly House at the Horniman Museum is an absolute gem. Compared to the NHM Sensational Butterflies is was much smaller but I felt that it was to it's advantage. Even though it was the weekend it wasn't too crowded and butterflies were magical. If you're in London I would highly recommend. 

Comments

Popular Posts