Gavin Turk and more Autumn

I thought last week would be the last of the autumn colour but no, it seems to be the gift that keeps on giving. OH and I headed down to the Newport Gallery this weekend to see the new Gavin Turk exhibition 'Who What When Where How & Why. I must admit we went last week as the weather was pretty grim only to find we were a week too early, the exhibition hadn't even started!
The gallery is in an unassuming part of  South London and the easiest way for us to get there is by bus then a short walk through the back streets. We stumbled across  these fabulous mosaics of Charlie Chaplin while we were doing the, sorry I mean walking, down Lambeth Walk. Chaplin was brought up in the area before setting off to make his fortune in the USA in the early 20s. 

There was also what was probably a street of old shops with colours that punched you in the face. 
I made OH take a short detour to see the colours of these trees below but also spotted this community artwork celebrating other landmarks and well known faces linked with the area. There was also pictures celebrating Pearly Kings and Queens and the Lambeth Walk.


But just look at the colours of those leaves! Simply devine
But enough of Autumn for now, don't worry there will be more later on! Back to the exhibition
I really like the Newport Gallery as it's free, friendly and  you can take photographs (a huge tick in my box). 
 Gavin Turk isn't really my think, I don't really understand much of Modern Art but this exhibition did make me smile. Above is the infamous 'Gavin Turk worked here' blue plaque which was the only thing he submitted for his end of year degree show. I did like the fact that it was the only thing in one vast gallery. 
This was my favorite room as you could interact with these mirrored cubes and got different views of the room as you walked around. 
Legs are photographer's own with OH's legs in the background...... 
When you go upstairs the first room hits you in the face with Warhol inspired parades of the artist as Sid Vicious. After the muted colours of downstairs it was a massive sensory hit. 
Next room had several different installations depicting the human form. The figure wearing the grubby blue shirt is actually a sculpture rather than a person. 
I was torn by this exhibition as I did find some of it pretentious but I did enjoy some aspects. 
The final room was full of erm rubbish - literally which I just didn't get. BUT I really like this image of people viewing it reflected in a mirror. 
And as we made our way back to the bus stop there was even more Autumn Colour. 




And back in the flat I popped outside to enjoy the last of my dahlias. Frost is on it's way so I'm not sure how much longer they will be with us but love these. I've had such pleasure from these since late Summer. 

Comments

Popular Posts