A Cumbrian Adventure: A Walk in the Woods

You're not suppose to start a blog post with 'I'm shamefully behind with my posts' but after a 2 month silent I feel I should at least acknowledge it! I've loads to share but for some reason I've been struggling to put a blog post together. But here we now are and I first want us to go back to June when I took the week off to visit my folks up North. The weather was glorious and it's rare for me to visit in the Summer. Everything was so green! So I dragged my mum for a walk down into the woods which are at the bottom of the valley. It's one of my favourite walks and always takes me back to being a kid again.
 As you can see the weather was amazing, I even got a bit of a tan! 
 I love these old gate posts which are like old friends greeting you. The colour everywhere so such a vivid green. 

 There is a picture of me swimming here as a toddler. I think it was in '76 when there was a heat wave. Water was short so an easy option was to wash in the river !! 
 We came across these signs which were scattered throughout the wood. It's great to think of a new generation enjoying the woods. 


 The highlight of this walk is this cute bridge down at the bottom. It's too steep to go down to the river but I love peering over the sides to see the bridge in all it's glory. 

 The only downside to the walk is the climb back up which we took at a steady pace. I'd say that was for my mum's benefit but I'd of course be lying as she's probably fitter than I am! 

 We then walked through the fields which link the woods through to the wood. I love these gate posts with their inscription from I think 1863 but it could also be 1683. Either way the path we were taking took us up to Carter Ground so was good to see that they've marked their terratory. 

 The woods on the other side are completely different as it's full of connifers which seem to be devoid of a life. If you come in the winter they are earily quiet but with so many trees having blown over nature is taking it back and there were some signs of life. 

June is the season of the fox glove and there were literally hundreds throughout the valley. 
 When you come out of the wood you walk past this magnificent concrete fence. Some would argue it's an eye sore but I love the colours. And then the view you see on the way home is magical! 

Comments

Popular Posts