New Mexico: Part One: Albuquerque

'Hot dog, jumping Frog (I'm in) Albuquerque'.  I first went to New Mexico as a teenager with my parents travelling around the Four States (Colorado, Arizona, Utah and New Mexcio). At the time Prefab Sprout's song 'The King of Rock n Roll' was in the charts with these unique lyrics. I remember my excitment back then when I was signs for what felt like the mythical 'Albuquerque'. Like the Sears Tower in Chicago I finally made it to Albuquerque (ABQ) thirty years later to attend a conference for work, the whole point of the trip.
Now admittedly I spent my days inside a conference hall and in the evenings I was so tired I went home and collapsed on the sofa with a take away. However I wasn't enamoured by ABQ. It wasn't helped that my only other reference for ABQ was the wonderful series Breaking Bad which was set here. This was a series set around Crystal Meth production,drug dealers and violence so despite living in Brixton, London I found I was a little nervous and avoided going out at night! 
Needless to say my photos from ABQ are few and a little weak if I'm honest but still thought I would share. 

This was a view of the street my colleague and I were staying on. 

I loved this mural near to the bus stop referencing Breaking Bad 

And finally here is the view of the Piazza infront of the Conference Centre. The Shaded areas provided amazing shadows in the brilliant blue sunshine. 
So there we go, ABQ, sorry it's not much but is at least a reflection of what I saw. The next post will be more exciting, I promise. We're going on a rail trip :) 

Comments

Popular Posts