Chelsea Flower Show 2019: The Great Pavillion

Whilst I enjoyed looking at the show and artisan gardens I must admit it was a bit of a rugby scrum as you couldn't really savour what you were looking at as there was usual a crowd three people deep behind you waiting to have a look. But the Great Pavilion was a much more relaxed affair. You could truly savour the views, colours and in some cases smells as you wandered around.
I have this thing with Peonies - one of my favourite flowers and unlike a lot of the flowers I saw at Chelsea they are naturally in season in May!

The Guild of Flower Arrangers were celebrating their Diamond Anniversary so this was their set piece. 


Oh these daffodils were one of my favourites. The display was a bit old fashioned but the variety of daffodils was mind blowing - 75! 
The colours of these lupins were surreal if I'm honest. 


I really liked the detail of the man in the canal boat 
These were snap dragons that grow in the wild. Apparently they cross hybridise but the hybrid is sterile so they bees don't pollinate it and so it dies out allowing the true plants to thrive (and feed the bees!)
May is definitely Peony season 
The smell of these roses were divine! 

These alliums were absolutely stunning - I didn't realise you could get so many varieties! 
More bulbs to add to the wish list! 

I took a cheeky shot of Joe Swift as he was filming for the week long coverage on the BBC. 
I absolutely loved this clematis but sadly I don't have enough room for another climber. 
These guys had come over from South Africa. I don't think I'd fully appreciated that people came from Overseas to display here. 
This is one of those plants that are difficult to grow but look stunning - a meconopsis aka a Himalayan Blue Poppy
I don't think I have the right kind of soil for delphiniums but the colours of these were stunning!
If you're a regular reader you may know of my love of the dahlia.
We nearly missed this stunning display from the National Dahlia Collection but luckily I spoke up and said that it was the only thing I really wanted to see. 
I've got a few tubers starting to sprout but I was so mesmerised by this display that I ordered a few more! 
And there we have it - my first year at Chelsea and I had a blast! Thanks Mum for the ticket - such a birthday treat! 


Comments

Popular Posts