New York New York Part Four: The Flatiron Building and the FIT Museum

And so we come to the end of my crazy, jam packed few days in the Big Apple. The final stretch is insight and by this point I was exhausted. But I still had a few things to squeeze in. First up is the iconic Flatiron Building. Boy was this a sight. It was really difficult to photograph. Built in 1902 it was, at one point one of the tallest buildings in the city. It is now dwarfed by huge spires but it was wonderful. With every angle you got a different view. And I loved it.



 While we're in portrait mode here are a few images of the buidlings surrounding the Flatiron. 

 And here is my last stop in New York. But first I'm going to set the scene for this last installement. A couple of years ago I queued up for an on the day ticket for the Savage Beauty: Alexander McQueen exhibition at the V&A. The tickets were limited to couple of hundred a day so I made sure I got there early which meant a long(ish) wait in line. I got talking to the lady next to me who it transpired was a fashion student who had come over specially from New York for a workshop and to see the exhibition. We got on really well and ended up wandering around the V&A together killing time before our alloted time for the exhibition (we'd secured the tickets). We followed each other on Instragram and I've loved seeing her life from across the pond. Fast forward a couple of years and I'd arranged to meet with Michelle at the Museum at the FIT where she now works as an Assistant Curator. 
 It was so lovely to meet this person again who I really felt I'd connected. And she gave me my own personal tour of the exhibitions. The first explores body politics - how fashion depicts everyone as 'thin' but in reality women come in all shapes and sizes. There were examples of this dating back several hundred years. 
 It really was fascinating and I felt so lucky to have my own private tour guide. 


 Down stairs was an exhibition dedicated to Norman Norell who I must admit I'd never even heard of.but he had an extraordinary career spanning six decades. 
 Must admit that it didn't really float my boat and the exhibition lacked dynamism.  

 I was drawn to this part though but think that's because I love the 50s dress shape 
But to be honest I'd come to visit Michelle and I treasured the time I spent with her. I love making seemingly random connections with people. It makes life so much more interesting and you never know where the connection will take you. Always make the effort to smile or make small talk with people. It nurishes your soul as well as theirs. And it's fun! But anyway back to New York. Crazy New York. It was exhausting and fun. Next stop Washington DC. More to follow.... 

Comments

Popular Posts